Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Food Bank Frustrations

Today, I read a post about how some people look down on those who use food banks. I haven't had to use them myself (yet), but I have had friends who have. I realized that I tend to stock up in good times, and can cover the lean times with the stored food and some creative cooking. The Boy has never had to use a food bank either, and has never been unemployed (until now), doesn't seem to understand my need to keep the shelves full. I'm not talking about hording, but just keeping a couple extra jars of whatever I use regularly, just in case.

It frustrates me that people still ASSUME that people using the food banks are 'losers', 'freeloaders', 'abusing the system', when the majority of us are only a step away from using them ourselves, and most of the people using  them are working poor and are only using it because they have no other alternative.

Just my rant for today.

No comments: